The Wolfpack Files

My Life in My Words

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Ice Cream

Earlier tonight three good friends and I went to Cold Stone for some ice cream after some good Thai food (there was a 5th but he left before the actual ice cream eating began.) For those of you that have never heard of Cold Stone, it's an ice cream lovers paradise. You choose what ice cream you want and they take a big scoop of it and slam it down on to a cold stone slab (get it?). At that point they add in the toppings. Two of the girls got cake batter ice cream mixed with brownies, sprinkles and fudge. The other girl got cake batter ice cream mixed with I believe M&Ms, Snickers and Kit-Kats. They mash it all up together and you get a gooey treat. It really is pretty amazing stuff. Tonight I decided not to partake, but I have in the past and never had a bad time.

It reminded me of something that happened years ago which turned me off ice cream for a while, or at least turned me off Dairy Queen. My parents have a house on the Connecticut shore and each summer my college friends and I would head down there for a couple of weekends. There's not a ton to do there beyond sitting on the beach (or deck), watch TV, play mini-golf and go out to eat. It's rather relaxing. My college friends aren't really big party people, so we were never that interested in bar hopping or getting smashed (which is in huge contrast to my law school friends. I've never figured out how I ended up with two completely different types of friends. But I digress...) So we would go to the beach and just chill.

Well, one night we go to Dairy Queen after dinner. Everyone gets their ice cream and whatnot. We take it back to the beach house and one of my friends decides she's had enough. She had a simple vanilla cone, but she barely ate any of it. So she tosses it on the beach. Now remember, this is the middle of summer. The next morning we all wake up and make our way outside. And there, still sitting where she threw it, was the ice cream cone. With the ice cream! I realize she threw it out in the middle of the night, but it was still a good 60-70 degrees that night, and then with the sun the next morning? How in God's name was there still ice cream? The entire thing should have melted, but there it was in all its glory. And this story, unlike the one with the girls during spring break, can be verified by others.

I have no idea what goes into a Dairy Queen ice cream cone, but it ain't ice cream. It was seriously disturbing. To this day I have not eaten ice cream from Dairy Queen. Thankfully, there are other ice cream places at the beach (including one where Katharine Hepburn used to eat) so we were never at a loss, but to this day I can still see that 'ice cream' sitting on the beach after laying out all night.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always feel uncomfortable in Cold Stone with the employees singing. Are teenagers really that into singing goofy tunes? Are they hepped up on cookie dough or something stronger? Is the store manager got some sort of mind control thing going on? I feel like I'm watching a combination of a hostage tape and a bad high school musical.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home