The Wolfpack Files

My Life in My Words

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Yankees

After an afternoon of seeing United 93 and buying sneakers, I, along with three other friends, went to my first Yankees game of the season. Now, I am by no means a Yankees fan, but I don't hate them as many Red Sox fans do. I do however hate Alex Rodriguez, who I still think it a pansy for slapping the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's glove and then crying about it. Jackass. Anyway, seeing as how I live in New York, I tend to go a couple of Yankees games every year. Generally I'll root for the other team just because it'll annoy the people I'm with (who are usually Yankees fans) and because it gives me something to do. While I don't hate the Yankees, you'll never catch me cheering for them. Except maybe if they're losing by 10 and I happen to have a Yankee on my fantasy team. Then I'll want a HR or something just to give me some stats. Today was no different. They played the Blue Jays today, so I went in rooting for Toronto, and to a lesser extent, Jorge Posada, since he's my catcher on two fantasy teams.

There's something about going to Yankee Stadium. The evening was a little chilly, but still, it's late April, it's Yankee Stadium, it's all about history. When you think about the greatest players in of all time, how many of them are Yankees? Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, Berra, Munson, Maris, Jackson... the list goes on and on... It's one of the oldest stadiums still standing in baseball. And although I hate to admit it, they're the greatest team in the history of sports (with the Montreal Canadiens a close second.) If you're a fan of baseball, you can't not enjoy sitting in Yankee Stadium. The crowd knows baseball so they're always into the game. The overpriced hot dogs, sodas and beer. And it's always fun to sit in the upper deck where there are a couple of 'dry' sections, and watching as people don't realize it until they get shooed to another section and are forced to sit much farther away, just so they can drink an $8 beer.

Thankfully, things went according to plan. I predicted a 7-0 Toronto win, and they won 7-2. Posada didn't start, but went 1 for 2 with a single, so that helps. And I won $1 from a friend. All in all, a pretty good time at the Stadium. At least for me. Maybe I can catch them against the Sox and not be afraid to wear my 2004 Championship hat. You Yankees fans remember what it's like to win a championship right? Right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home