The Wolfpack Files

My Life in My Words

Friday, August 08, 2008

The Notebook

I've been a member of Netflix since April of 2000. I was one of the first people to join up and I've been a member so long that my membership agreement is different than most. Netflix has been very nice at keeping to the original contract so that while the current membership allows 3 out at a time for $16.99, I still get 4 out a time for the same price. I've watched hundreds of movies through Netflix and it has truly been one of the great web site creations in my life time.

On February 28th of 2005, I had The Notebook shipped to me. While today I can get a DVD overnight, back then it took a couple of days to arrive and I got it March 2nd. 3 years, 5 months and 6 days after I got it, tonight, I finally watched it.

Once upon a time I had a friend who I cared for very much and when I got The Notebook, we promised we'd watch it with each other. We didn't see each other much and when we did, it was with a group of people or for a very short time and so as the days and months slipped away, we never watched the film. I haven't spoken to her in about a year now. I can't believe the time has passed so quickly. I guess I knew a few months ago that there was a good chance I would never really speak to her again, but I held on to the movie. I've erased emails, hidden pictures and all thoughts of her have been pushed to the back of my mind. But I could never bring myself to return The Notebook. It was like it was my last link to her. That maybe one day, by some twist of fate, we'd end up in the same place at the same time and we'd finally get a chance to watch the movie together. But tonight, as I shuffled through the other movies I had from Netflix, it was there looking at me like it has for the past three and a half years and for some reason, I knew it was time to watch.

The movie turned out to be almost everything I expected. It was a pure and beautiful love story with a final scene that will break the hearts of even the toughest person. It's strange how something as simple as round disc can have so much emotion attached to it, but as I took the DVD out of the player and put it into its sleeve, I felt very sad. I almost put it back in the nice DVD holder Netflix sent me a few years ago because I didn't want to send it back. It's been a single constant for so long that not having it there is going to make me feel a little empty inside. But, I did finally put it into the red Netflix envelope and tomorrow, it will at last be returned. I'm guessing Netflix probably thinks I lost it a long time ago and just didn't want to pay for it. Little do they know that a movie about a story in a notebook, has a story behind it as well.

1 Comments:

Blogger ZenDenizen said...

Have you seen this?

http://www.slate.com/id/2199365/

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home